A couple weeks ago we loaded up the car and took a drive to Chelsea and decided to stop by Naturally Véro Café and grab some coffees. Matthew grabbed a bunch of different treats including some vegan jalapeño cheddar cornbread waffles. They were so absolutely tasty! Savory and spicy and a really nice treat with some vegan sour cream. In fact, I haven’t stopped thinking about them and wanted to try recreating them!
Full disclosure, I’m a cornbread newbie. We didn’t grow up eating cornbread but in the last month or so I’ve been making cornbread on a pretty steady rotation and learning about it. I love trying out different recipes and love it when I come across a ‘new to me’ food that keeps me wanting to try new recipes and combos!
So, jalapeño cheddar cornbread waffles! These lovely waffles are certainly a brunch meal (but eat them whenever you want!) Automatically my mind thinks of the jalapeño and cheddar combo as a savoury dish but you can also have these loaded with vegan butter and syrup. Yum!
They are good on their own but in this house we’re big fans of turning things into sandwiches. By ‘we’re’ I mean Matthew is – quite literally he likes to turn anything he can into a little sammy sam! Anyways…. I think these will turn into a great vegan BLT! Make some rice paper bacon (great recipe from Edgy Veg here) add some lettuce and tomato, slab of vegan majo. *Chef’s kiss*
Well… let’s get cooking!
Vegan Cheddar Jalapeño Cornbread Waffles
- waffle iron
- 1 tbsp ground flaxseed meal
- 3 tbsp water
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup ground cornmeal
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1 1/2 cups oat milk
- 2 tbsp melted vegan butter
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 jalapeno pepper seeded minced
- 1/2 to 1 cup shredded vegan cheddar cheese I used the Daiya cutting board style shreds
- Preheat oven to 200 degrees. Set a wire rack on a baking sheet and place in oven.
- Preheat waffle iron.
- In a medium sized bowl prepare flax egg by combining 1 tbsp ground flax and 3 tbsp water.
- In a large bowl combine flour, cornmeal, baking powder, baking soda, salt and paprika and whisk together.
- Back to medium bowl, add oat milk, maple syrup and melted vegan butter to flax egg. Combine.
- Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients, mix together with spatula but don’t overmix. Folk in vegan cheese and jalapeno.
- Add batter to waffle iron and let them cook until crispy on the outside (approx. 5 minutes depending on your waffle maker).
- Transfer finished waffles to wire rack in the oven until ready to serve.